Preview Summer 2016: What Movies to See

Independence Day Resurgence
Starring Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Sela Ward, Joey King, & Liam Hemsworth
Release Date: June 24, 2016
It's been 20 years since Captain Steven Hiller, David Levinson, and President Thomas Whitmore headed the fight to save earth from the aliens who threatened their very existence.  Unfortunately for mankind, the aliens did not forget and we don't have Will Smith's Hiller to lead us in battle.
In this new story, Steven Hiller is dead. He was killed in a flying exercise using one of the alien ships. It is time for the new generation to evolve and once again fight for their right to live.
Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman reprise their roles as David Levinson (Goldblum) and President Thomas Whitmore (Pullman). The script proves to be witty with lines like "They always go for the landmarks" and "I'm not going up there to make friends." Welcome the new generation of fighters, Jake Morrison (Liam Hemsworth) and Captain Hiller's son Dylan (Jessie Usher). Other returning cast members include Vivica A. Fox as Jasmine (Steven's widow) and Brent Spiner as Dr. Brakish Okun, though I'm still trying to figure out Spiner's return because if I recall, Dr. Okun perished in the first film. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's back but I hope they explain his resurrection. Anyway, this is definitely a must see. I tend to hesitate to see sequels because you have to do the series justice but I think from the previews alone as well as the absence of my man Will Smith, this sequel looks promising and of course inspirational. Don't delay! Go celebrate Independence Day!

Swiss Army Man
Starring Paul Dano & Daniel Radcliffe
Release Date: July 1, 2016
My initial impression of this film is a modern day Weekend at Bernie's. Here's what I gather from the trailer. Paul Dano is this man that feels he has nothing to live for yet hesitates to follow through with his hanging. When he sees the body of a man lying on the shore it seems to have sparked life back into him. He's curious and has found a purpose. He drags the man's body with him and becomes friends with him. It's clear to me, in the trailer that this strange man (Radcliffe) is indeed dead. Now here's where the tricky part comes in. With the company of another being, Radcliffe's character seems to slowly spring back to life as well though it still seems to me he's "mostly dead" to quote Princess Bride. With the vision of a beautiful women it's like he wants to live again however I can't help but wonder if this is all an illusion because Dano's character is so lonely. Is Radcliffe's persona truly coming back to life in a non-zombie fashion or is it all a figment of Dano's character's imagination? Just out of pure curiosity, I would suggest seeing this in the theatre. It definitely has sparked my interest enough to go see it. So what do you say? Live it up and watch Swiss Army Man this summer!

The Neon Demon
Starring Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks, Keanu Reeves, & Jena Malone
Release Date: June 24, 2016
I am not one for freaky movies that may cause me nightmares but this film has peeked my interest too much. It took me a while to figure out who the lead is because I knew I've seen her from somewhere (Disney's Maleficient). Elle Fanning is truly making a name for herself apart from her sister Dakota. In The Neon Demon Elle plays an aspiring model with much potential. It seems her colleagues or competition are envious of her. It almost reminds me of a different take on Carrie.Granted there are no magic demonic powers but that psyche is there. Without actually reading the premise I would say she is protecting herself and what she has worked for. I am very intrigued by this mysterious film and say that if you're in the mood to be psychologically scared, this is the film for you. Turn up the heat this summer and sweat out your fear. This film looks unbelievable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas