Prenups, Yay or Nay?

This post is inspired by the wonderful Wendy Williams. I saw she tweeted about Lindsay Lohan and her fiance Egor Tarabasov don't want a prenup. I did reply to my thought on prenups but I figured since twitter is restrictive in characters, I'd use my blog to further discuss my stance on prenups. First I want to point out that in the past I didn't believe in prenups. I thought, why would you draw up a prenup if you trust and love the person? Through the years I saw why they are necessary especially if one or even both individuals have money. Most cases are seen in celebrity marriages/divorces. Sure when you meet someone you're infatuated, in love, and think that is the most wonderful person in the world however if things don't work out then sometimes that can bring out a person's true colors.
In Lindsay's case, since this is the topic that brought up the question, she is a talented actress/singer who has come into money with her talent. No matter who she were to marry, I feel a prenup is necessary. That doesn't mean that you anticipate things won't work out but it is protection in case it doesn't. Without a prenup, the other individual could take you for all you're worth. Now let's take this a step further shall we?
Keep in mind, I'm only using this as an example. The recent reports on Johnny Depp and Amber Heard's divorce. I don't know much about the case itself so correct me if I'm wrong but here is what I've read. Amber filed from divorce from Johnny asking for spousal support. Now my first thought was, "Really? Why do you need spousal support? You make your own money. You're exactly destitute." I then heard reports that he is refusing spousal support or fighting against it that is. Soon after this there's suddenly pictures of Amber with bruises on her face claiming Johnny has abused her though he has NO history of abusing his ex or her when they were together. Now granted, I don't know their situation but I do believe it's a ploy to get more money from him. If Johnny had a prenup in place it would've protected him from this. Johnny is a brilliant actor and has earned his wealth on his own. It's a shame to have someone go after his money to satisfy their own greed. I've written about Johnny before admiring his talent. However this isn't about his talent. He doesn't deserve to have his fortune taken from him because someone has sour grapes that things didn't work out. How would you feel if you got divorced and someone took or attempted to take you to the cleaners for your hard earned money? Now in an ironic twist, Amber herself has a domestic violence record. Hmmm...interesting, don't you think?
Sorry getting off topic. In this case I feel that whether you have a ton of money or not, you need to protect yourself and your earnings. People take advantage of spousal support. I don't have a lot of money nor did I have a prenup but I feared my ex asking me for spousal support because I was the bread winner in our marriage. Though he could have gone after my retirement, I still didn't want to be supporting him anymore as I did throughout our entire time together. It's not a question of whether you love the person it's a question of protecting your interests. It's not selfish, it's smart. Too often, especially celebrities, meet people that are merely trying to use them for their fame and/or money. It's not right. They worked hard to get where they are. It is the selfishness of others that make these divorces ugly. It doesn't have to be. So with all that said, I say yay to prenups especially in the case where there is a substantial amount of wealth involved. The only people who should be getting money from a divorce are the children because when there are children involved, they suffer the most. What are your thoughts? I invite you to leave your comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas