Music Review: Whitty Whitesell

Artist: Whitty Whitesell
Album: Gift of the Middle

I first encountered Whitty on Twitter. I truly enjoy meeting/connecting with artists no matter their craft. He messaged me encouraging me to check out his album. *Note: It is always a great first impression when you personally reach out to people to check out/review your work. Moving on, I went right to his sight whitty.bz to check out his songs. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. In a world where it seems that the music has gotten lost in the image, his music is refreshing. It's that raw talent that has everything to do with the music and artistic expression.
With the first tracks, St. Lucy Flyin' High, Firm Embrace, and Dying Myself, I can hear the stylings of the Beatles in songs such as Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. There's just something about Lucy.
This album takes you on a musical journey starting with what I call the "birth" mood of the first three tracks. You feel carefree, calm, and unstoppable. I transported myself to a beautiful summer day in a car taking a road trip to anywhere, feeling the wind hitting my face and all my troubles melt away.
Waiting for Promises brings about a different sign, a different turn for the album. Whitty's voice becomes deeper almost taking on a stern presence yet maintains its soft vibe. I feel that his sound has a hit of different artists. The echo distortion reminds me of Jim Morrison of The Doors where it gives the listener a hypnotizing effect that makes you want to listen even after there is no more to listen to.
Breathe is unique to me in terms of sound because it's a mixture between Daughtry and the great David Bowie. Listen to the tone of his voice and trust me, you'll hear it. Now with Dad vs. the devil, the Beatle sound tends to sneak its way back in at the opening of the song. It amazes me how much his voice transforms in this album. Though he resembles many of these great artists, it's his unique sound. It works.
In terms of songs I can pinpoint some that truly stand out more than the rest. My favorites on this album are Waiting for Promises, The Knavery of Osburn, Dad vs. the devil, and Breathe.
Waiting for Promises is something that most people can relate to but it also reminds me of my relationship with my boyfriend. He's not bitter but this song still captures some of what he's been through.
"feelin’ older don’t know where I’m goin’
getting’ colder bitterness is growin’
I need your help to make it through another day
waiting for promises can’t help me find my way
no baby I can’t do it alone
I can’t make it on my own
baby I can’t do it alone
I need you
feelin’ lazy watchin’ too much tv
I got money troubles no one there to save me
no no no
I need your help to make it through the push and shove"
In my relationship, we balance each other out. That's what these lyrics mean to me. We are not financially sound yet and fall in line with most Americans, living paycheck to paycheck and still barely making it but together we're strong. We can push through. Now I'm not going to examine each of my favorite songs but this one in particular is very powerful to me. I invite you to sit back, listen, know you're not alone in this web of trials and tribulations but above all know that you're as free as you want to be.
If I must give this album a rating I'd give it 4 gems (equivalent to 4 stars).

For your chance to listen to the album and download the songs for free visit whitty.bz




Comments

  1. I could not have said it better. I and my now spouse (took 38 years for legality) are together 43 years this past May 2nd and when I was a young teen saw the Beatles at Shea Stadiun in New York City. Of course with the Mania and rudimentary sound system, couldn't hear the songs much, as I told Mr. White sell. You are an excellent writer and pursue that, you never know. And everything you said about the Album is spot on. Would go up the chart on ITunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just realized, didn't mean you already not a writer, just you put things together so well. Could write a novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi William! Nice to meet you! Congratulations on 43 years with your spouse! I wish you both many more happy and blessed years! I thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm currently working on a manuscript and hope to be writing full time soon. God bless you and your family.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas