Music Review-Kerli "Love is Dead"

Artist: Kerli
Album: Love is Dead
Release Date: July 8, 2008
Yes I'm reviewing an older album because this is one of my favorites and just because it's old doesn't mean it can't be made new with a fresh review.
I stumbled across this album by accident. My best friend Megan and I were in F.Y.E. searching through the used CDs when we saw this album. We ran it to one of the listen stations and decided we love the music. Unfortunately there was one copy and two of us so Megan bought it that day. I admit it I was jealous but then I purchased it off of Amazon for my digital music library. It was my first time listening to the album in full and I loved it as much as when I heard the snippets.
Kerli has her own unique sound with a hint of Avril Lavigne. I say a hint because Kerli has this electric rocking sound. Many may have the urge to classify her as goth which is what I wanted to do at first but I feel it's so much more than a goth look or sound. One of my favorite songs on the album is Fragile. Part of the reason I love the song is because to me it's one of those "don't judge a book by its cover" themes. On the outside I appear strong, unbreakable but it doesn't mean I'm not suffering inside or that my feelings don't get hurt. No matter how strong we appear to be we suffer just as much as the next person.
"You think you see me
And everything that you consider me
You think I'm more than you
You think you see me
You like the way I'm strong and stand by you
But I am fragile too
I am fragile too"
There's also a theme of equality here. We are on an equal plane. I'm no more than you as you are no more than me. We all have a weakness.
Another one of my favorites on the album is Bulletproof which centers around one's insecurities due to something their significant other did in the past. The begins with:
"Just a simple touch
Just a little glance
Makes me feel like flyin'
But where are you tonight
Something isn't right
Can you please stop hiding"
The woman obviously mistrusts the man. Something is off and she's asking him to be honest with her. The chorus continues this theme with:
" I'm trying not to think about
All the things you did before
But sometimes it all just gets to me
I can't take it anymore
I'll stay with you
But remember be careful what you do
'Cause I'm not bulletproof"
The theme is similar to Fragile yet different. There's a disrespect here. It's almost like what I've seen so many times in toxic relationships from both my friends and myself. Despite the hurt, they move on but stay with that person. However in this song I also see a warning for the person to "be careful what you do cause I'm not bulletproof." It could serve as a warning that if they don't shape up they'll lose the best thing that happened to them.
With the themes of these two songs, I think we can understand why the album is called Love is Dead. It's a brilliant piece of work and you will find yourself rockin' it out with her. For more on Kerli, follow her on twitter https://twitter.com/kerlimusic
And also on Facebook at  https://www.facebook.com/Kerli

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas