Music Review-Alexander Jean "Head High"

Artist: Alexander Jean
Head High EP
For those that didn't know, Mark Ballas (well known for his fancy feet on Dancing with the Stars) is one half of this duo. I had no idea he could sing. That aside, the amazing female vocals are done by BC Jean. Speaking of the vocals, their voices mix together like smooth, soft silk. It's not only the cover that is art but the music. I'm not sure if any of you remember/heard of the painter Bob Ross who had a show on PBS but he was so relaxing to watch because of the way he painted and his soft spoken voice helped as well. This EP is like one of Bob Ross's paintings. It's handled with so much care the the execution is perfect. BC Jean's vocal range is amazing. She doesn't go flat. Her voice does what a voice should when used properly. She is able to round out the notes in such a way that it glides with the instrumentals. It also makes way for Mark's beautiful vocals to underline it with the perfect pitch. Both Mark and BC have perfect control of their voices.
Now to focus on some of the individual songs. The title track Head High is nothing short of greatness. The vocals are haunting as they encourage the listener to "hold your head high" in the mist of trials and tribulations. They sing "We've been lost here once or twice in this pitch black room without a light. Even if we fall we'll survive. Just hold your head up high." The way this song is executed reminds me of a gospel choir especially the part of the song where people are clapping and it's like they're cheering you on to push through those rough times. This song gives hope to a brighter future. It's so uplifting. If you're going through a rough time, check out this song first. It will give you motivation, determination to be who you were meant to be.
The next song I love is Run. The beat is infectious, full of excitement. Again the vocals seem to fall perfectly in line with the instrumentals, even guiding the instrumentals. It gives me the feeling of freedom like if I ran, I would be running to this track allowing the music to carry my feet farther than I ever thought I could go. It's an empowering song that truly makes me want to run. I feel free just listening, no matter where I am. It set me free from my chains and I can rise above anything.
Roses and Violets is a beautiful ballad where one is yearning for the presence of the other and of course gives a sweet new incentive for the overused line "roses are red, violets are blue." It renews the line into a heartwarming saying with pure love and gives an even deeper meaning than that.
For their first EP, Alexander Jean has nailed it with each song. To download the Head High EP go to https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/head-high/id1113235567?i=1113235787

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas