2016 Picks for Must See Movies Part 1

*Note: These picks are based on the movie trailers only. All visual stills from movie are owned by their respectable film companies and websites. Most are featured on the IMDB (Internet Movie Database)

 Me Before You
Starring Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin, and Jenna Coleman
Release Date: June 3, 2016
The trailer reminds me of "The Fault in Our Stars" starring Shailene Woodley but in the sense of romantic charm. It's a different kind of romance. The stories we are used to seeing are those who are perfectly gorgeous and their flaws are in their character. This is not one of those stories which I love.
Emilia Clarke plays Louisa Clark, a spirited young lady who takes a job being a caretaker and companion to a disabled man named William Traynor who has given up on life.
Louisa charms him with her cheerful, free spirit and naturally they fall in love but despite how he feels about her, he thinks she can do better due to his being paralyzed.
This looks absolutely charming and I'm a little biased of the cast because I'm a huge fan of both Emilia Clarke and Jenna Coleman.  The only regret I have is waiting so long for the release. I'm surprised this didn't have a Valentine's Day release as it would make the perfect film to see though it also seems to hold potential of being quite a tearjerker.

Nine Lives
Starring Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Garner, Cheryl Hines, and Christopher Walken
Release Date: August 5, 2016
Man messes up his life. Man takes for granted his good life. Magic changes him in some way, shape or form and the spell is broken when a change takes place. Forced change, we've all seen it before like Freaky Friday but I must admit that this is a refreshing twist on this repetitive plot. I am a cat lover so again yes there is a bias however I love seeing the great Kevin Spacey as a defenseless wittle puttycat. Yes, I just did some baby talk right there. The film looks absolutely hysterical and I'm intrigued to see how Spacey's character intends to fix things with his family being a cat. It also never hurts to have the likes of Christopher Walken helping you either. I didn't get too much of the plot from the trailer than what I described but I'm hooked.

 Creative Control
Starring Benjamin Dickinson, Nora Zehetner, and Reggie Watts
Release Date: March 11, 2016
The basic premise of this film is that these special glasses with technological advances allow you to control space in the sense of managing everything at your fingertips. It even disrupts this man's reality and allows his desires to corrupt him (including cheating virtually). Reggie Watts seems to be the central mind within this technology as a sort of mentor to Dickinson's David. What I like about this plot is the message behind it. We have allowed technology to rule us instead of using it for our purposes. We are out of touch with each other and giving into this "creative control." I feel this is a must see and hoping it's as good as it looks. For the most part the main actors are not relatively known. Nora Zehetner is most recognized as Princess Ithaca in the abc family original movie "Princess" and Reggie Watts is a fantastic comedian I saw on Conan O'Brien's tour during his television hiatus. I anticipate the release and thankfully it's not that far off.

Suicide Squad
Starring Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Will Smith, & Viola Davis
Release Date:  August 5, 2016
 First, bravo on the editing of the second trailer. This is one of the best trailer I've seen in a long time. Whoever made the decision to set the trailer to Bohemian Rhapsody is brilliant. It made the film stand out that much more with the music of the beloved band Queen. Moving on, I find the conception interesting. Again I love the comic book films but I'm not familiar with the storyline. That being said I think the idea of having a band of villains as our heroes is unnerving but humorous. Robbie's take on Harley Quinn is priceless and Jared Leto as the Joker stands on its own merit. Will Smith as a villain is not something we're used to seeing but it makes the film worth our while. After all, what's an action movie without Will Smith? I'm also happy to see Viola Davis. I've been a fan of hers since "The Help." I'm ecstatic about this film and am saving it up to watch it when it's released.

The Secret Life of Pets
Starring Kevin Hart, Lake Bell, Louis C.K., Jenny Slate, Bobby Moynihan, Eric Stonestreet, and more
Release Date: July 8, 2016
One for the kids or your average animated film lover like myself. I am a sucker for animated films let alone films that focus on our lovable everyday pets. This is a fun story of Max who is the apple of his owner's eye. His world is shattered when his owner brings home another dog to be his playmate who's name is Duke. Duke is a huge dog compared to Max and takes over everything. He just ruins everything and eventually gets both himself and Max caught by animal control. With the help of Max's friends they break out but now must find their way home. A little Homeward Bound right? The thing is that the typical pets get lost in some way, shape, or form and must find their way home is another repetitive storyline but this has its own unique qualities to it. So as repetitive as this theme is, it is a great movie to share with the kids or with yourself for some guilty cartoon pleasure. A great way to keep cool in the summer.

X-Men: Apocalypse
Starring James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Olivia Munn, Rose Byrne, and Nicholas Hoult
Release Date: May 27, 2016
The much anticipated X-Men Apocalypse movie is obviously one of my picks. I am a huge fan of the X-Men saga and though I miss the original cast the young versions are just as awesome. I'm also excited to see Jubilee. It's about time they introduce her. Apocalypse is like no other enemy they have faced. This will not disappoint with the edge of your seat action, mutant vs. mutant; this is bound to be the best one yet! I look forward to the release and getting my mutant side on!
Apocalypse, it seems, is supposed to be the supreme leader of the mutants but he also prepared to destroy those who stand in his way. It's kind of like an extremely unreasonable Magneto, don't you think? Bring it on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas