Growing Up Filipino (or Pilipino as my mom says)

When people look at me, they don't tend to see the Filipino in me. I look more Italian and Spanish than Filipino. My mother (on the right in the picture) of course looks her heritage and she should. After all, she was born and raised in the Philippines. She came to the United States in 1979 to marry my father, Anthony LaSpada (100% Italian man). There were a lot of mannerisms I thought were unique to my mom but as it turns out it's quite common among most if not all Filipino mothers.
The first video I saw of comedian Christine Gambito was about a Filipino mom giving directions. I could not stop laughing because it's exactly like my mom. She always says "You know da ting." Everything is "da ting." Needless to say it rubbed off on my sisters and me. We each do that at some point. However the latest video I saw by Christine was addressing the "kilikili" which made me scream with laughter. I thought my mother made that up.
You see a "kilikili" refers to your underarm, armpit if you will and a woman's genitalia is referred to as a "pickpick" while a man's genitalia is referred to as a "baa-coy." I don't know how to spell it but I sure know how to say it. People looked at me word when I would mention "kilikili" and I never knew why they never heard of that nickname. Now I know why. The funny thing is McDonald's started their McPick 2 and I told my sister Samantha that it sounds like people are saying they want the pickpick 2.
What makes comedy great is its emphasis on real life situation. I love Christine Gambito's videos and blog. If you have Filipino heritage you will appreciate her comedy especially because we know it's true! Even if you're not of Filipino heritage watch Christine's videos. Now that you have the inside scoop I guarantee you'll be rolling with laughter.
I'm grateful for my mom. She's done a lot for my sisters and myself. She has taught us more than she thinks. I have many tales of things that would make you laugh. She is a mighty little woman. One story I will leave you with is one that is much funnier when you hear it but this will have to suffice.
My mom came to me one day and asked me what is the difference between a "pin" and a "pen" but that's because her pronunciation was a "pin" and a "pin." So I put emphasis on the vowels saying it's "Pi-i-i-in" and a "Pe-e-e-en." She smiled and said "Pwi-i-i-in" and a "pin." We both started laughing and I said "No, listen to difference. P-e-e-en and a pi-i-in" She repeated back "pin" and a "pin." The funniest part of all is if you listen closely to her pronunciation when she says both words, you can actually hear the slightest difference but I must say it is fairly entertaining to watch her do the movement of drawing as she differenciates between the two. Needless to say that was years ago. Now when she asks we pretty much know what she's saying. Keep in mind when it comes Filipino women and families, only we can tease our mothers. If you dare well you've been warned.
For more understanding and look into this be sure to watch Christine's videos and read her blog Happy Slip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas