Mixtape Festival 2016

There is no throwback like a huge party with your favorite artists. This was my first Mixtape Festival which I had the privilege of attending thanks to my great, kind friend Tiffany. The Festival marks my 2nd time seeing NKOTB and O-Town but my first time for everyone else. The line up was unbelievable. The rundown went like this: Ryan Cabrera, Dream, O-Town, 98 Degrees, Boyz II Men, Paula Abdul, and NKOTB. I think Ryan had the most difficult task of being the first act mainly because people were just arriving and getting settled in. I was very excited to see Ryan LIVE because 1) I've only ever heard him on the radio and his albums and 2) he follows me on twitter and I felt like I came to see a friend perform (yes I know I don't know him personally but it just felt that way, go with me here). He was great. He even did an acoustic version of "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" which was a nice attempt but I must say that I prefer the original version. Overall, I'd like to see Ryan on his own tour. I feel I'd be able to really see him showcase his talents at his own concert. By the time I got to my seat, he was done so I would like to see more of him.
Dream opened up with "This is Me" and I was ecstatic that they are back together. Fifteen years later and they still look good and sound amazing. It's like they never left. Their new song "I Believe," I believe I loved it. I will download it the moment I can. I hope we see more of Dream because the first time around was too short. I think they have a lot to offer. It was truly a dream come true to see these ladies again.
O-Town, what can I say? I was sad to see that Ashley is no longer part of the group but they sounded great all the same. That's right ladies, Erik, Trevor, Jacob, and Dan are back! Like Dream, these guys just didn't stick around long enough. I am so thrilled that they're back together. Even without Ashley they are a dynamic group. I look forward to what else they have for us. I've loved them since I saw them come together on "Making the Band." I think they are incredible. Singing along to hits like "Liquid Dreams," "All or Nothing at All," and "We Fit Together," really pumped me up.
98 Degrees. I missed seeing them when they were first popular. We had tickets but my grandmother wasn't doing well so we had to miss it. Seeing them this time around was well worth it. They did not miss a beat. It's like they never left. The highlight of their set was when they brought a woman on stage with a bridal veil on, singing "I Do Cherish You" to her. It was unbelievably romantic. Four men, on their knees, singing to you like you're a queen? What could be better? I hope we see new material from this group as well. I've missed you 98 Degrees!
Boyz II Men was monumental. They had the crowd on their feet even for the slow songs and I can tell you that I love their sense of humor. The highlight of their set was "Motown Philly." They did it not once but twice. I think most of my pictures were of them. Their performance left me wanting more. I was sad to see them go but I hope to see them in concert again.
Now for Miss Paula Abdul. First I want to say that the people in back of me had nothing but bad things to say about her. I'm here to tell you that Paula did fabulous. She sounded just as great as she did in the late 80's, early 90's. Paula didn't strain her voice once. She didn't try hitting notes she couldn't. This woman, after 25 years, knows her range and did it beautifully. Paula can still move like it's nobody's business and what I loved the most is the appreciation she showed to the fans. Paula, you're beautiful and so amazing. I hope to see you on stage again.
Last but certainly not least was NKOTB. I need to share something about this group. Not only have I loved them since they first popped onto the scene but I have such respect and appreciation for them. The first time I saw them in concert which was last year, I was amazed by how down to earth and truly appreciative of their fans they are. They are the first and only performers where I feel like we're all family. They are that incredible.
I must say with the hardships I've been through the past few years, they brought me to tears. Joey singing "Stay the Same," Donnie "I Need You," and Jordan "I'll Be Loving You Forever," just hit a cord with me. I was getting teary eyed because I've felt so much love and so much betrayal in the last few years that hearing them sing those songs just helped to carry me through. These men, Joey, Jon, Danny, Donnie, and Jordan cease to amaze me. As all the Blockheads do, I love these guys so much and their music uplifts me during a time which I am doubting myself and finding the truth about me.

No one can replace these amazing artists. Each of them, during a time in my life that I feel depressed about what has been going on around me, that people feel the need to bear false witness to my character repeatedly, have truly made me feel so good about myself on Saturday that they will never know. I know I put this up a lot but it would really be my dream to meet these artists because their music has touched me so deeply. They helped me to begin the steps of getting out of my rut and to realize that as long as I don't give up, I will succeed. I grew up with these artists, as many of us have and to meet them face to face, to tell them how much both they and their music means to me would be a real dream come true as well as an honor to meet them. God bless each of you and to all of you wonderful artists, thank you for sharing your talent and lives with us. You will never know how much of an impact you have on our lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas