2018 Movie Picks 1

Tomb Raider
Starring Alicia Vikander, Kristin Scott Thomas, Dominic West, Hannah John-Kamen, & Walton Goggins
Release Date: March 16, 2018
Lara Croft has been absent from the big screen since 2003's Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life with Angelina Jolie bringing the empowered hero to life. Never did we think we would see another Tomb Raider movie especially without the great Angelina Jolie. She was the perfect LIVE action Lara but I feel I stand corrected.
With this new Tomb Raider movie, Swedish actress Alicia Vikander brings the legend of Lara Croft back to the big screen and in a big way. Tomb Raider is based off the reboot of Lara's story with the Tomb Raider video game which takes us to the depths of her origins. Judging by the trailer, it seems to follow the video game almost to a "T."
Alicia embodies the innocence but the strength of the young Lara portrayed in the most recent games. I anticipate seeing the movie and will try my hardest to refrain from pretending I'm playing with a phantom control. Yes, it looks that good! With a March release date, it couldn't come quick enough.

Ocean's 8
Starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Paulson, Mindy Kaling, Awkwafina, and Rhiannon
Release Date: June 8, 2018
I get weary with reboots but when I heard who was making up the cast of Ocean's 8, I was intrigued mainly because I'm biased and I love these actresses. I have to say that with the satisfaction with the all female cast with the Ghostbusters reboot, I'm truly looking forward to this film. I feel it's interesting to see the different dynamics between the all female casts versus the all male casts.
The premises of the movie is that Debbie Ocean, Danny's sister, plans a major heist at the Met Gala not long after being released from prison. It's clear this "talent" runs in the family. Cate Blanchett seems to step into Brad Pitt's role as Debbie's right hand woman. I don't feel the trailer provides much but the story is a mirror of the "original" Ocean's 11 (because George Clooney's Ocean is a remake of Sinatra's Ocean). I'm a huge Sandra Bullock fan so I look forward to seeing the full scope of this film and give a proper critique.

Deadpool 2
Starring Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, and Josh Brolin
Release Date:  June 1, 2018
I loved the first Deadpool because I fell in love with the sarcastic sense of humor. Ah...I love me some sarcasm. The trailer itself is hilarious so I'm looking forward to the film. This one is extremely short just because the trailer speaks for itself. Check it out for yourself:
https://youtu.be/8-Cjsnq8kVU

Every Day
Starring Angourie Rice, Owen Teague, Maria Bello, & Debby Ryan
Release Date: February 23, 2018
A very intriguing story. I'm excited that this is coming out soon because I don't know if I can't wait for it to come out any later than it is. The story revolves around this young girl who falls in love with an individual that has the ability or perhaps even a curse of waking up as a different person each day. Different person, different life but one thing remains the same, the individual is in love with her too. I'm curious as to what the mystery behind that supernatural ability or curse (as it could be considered as well) and if there is a resolution to it. There's no telling whose life this "being" will experience but I want to see how far the power of love will go. I'm a romantic at heart. If you have not seen the trailer, I strongly encourage you do and instead of watching Fifty Shades Free, watch a truly inspirational story like Every Day this Valentine's Day season. (I know it comes out after but I feel this is a must see for the month of February.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: Jerad Finck Criminal EP

Music Review Single: Leslie Becker "Slow Burn"

Movie Review: Falling for Christmas